KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE AND PRACTICE OF LECTURE NOTE-TAKING STRATEGIES AMONG SUDANESE MEDICAL LABORATORY STUDENTS

Abuobieda Bala Abusharib, Ihab Hamed Nourein, Noon Babiker Mohammed Ahmed, Maysa Badawi Elmubasher, Manhal O Elbaraka, Islam Hamed Nourein

Abstract


This is a descriptive cross-sectional KAP study, conducted on Sudanese medical laboratory students, aimed at evaluating their knowledge, attitude, and practice of lecture note-taking strategies. A questionnaire was designed, including demographic along with other data regarding lecture note-taking strategies. In this study, all medical laboratory students form different university students invited to participate voluntarily, data was collected and analyzed. Result: Out of 682(100%) respondents, 608(89%) were note-takers and the remaining 74(11%) were non note-takers, on the other hand, 376(55%) of respondents preferred receiving handouts instead of taking note. Regarding the strategies used by students, from (n=608) note-takers, 410(67%) use their own expression, 198(33%) write same words of instructor, 395(65%), 585(96%), 362(53%), 383(63%) and 293(48%) were using abbreviations, writing  subtitle, leaving margin, using arrows and writing lecturer's name & date respectively. In this study, the respondents were classified into three groups depending on information retention (LIR, MIR and HIR) groups, accordingly the LIR were 95(14%), MIR were 474(69%) and HIR were 113 (17%). A higher information retention was observed in those who use own words, write subtitles, and using abbreviation as strategies of writing lecture note, p value <0.05. In conclusion: the results concluded  that, A high information retention was observed in those who revise lecture notes in the 1st 24hrs and (using their own words , using arrows, abbreviations, writing subtitles and date, leaving margins) while taking lecture notes. There are no differences between the awareness of Cornell's method and any other individualized method

Keywords


taking note, strategies of note taking, Cornell's method.

Full Text:

PDF

References


- Oscar LO and Maria VP. Effects of Prior Knowledge and Lesson Outline on Note Taking and Test Scores. Education Quarterly. 2008;66 (1): 71-86

- Charles AH and Sharon KS. Note-Taking Skills of University Students with and Without Learning Disabilities. Journal of Learning Disabilities.1994; 27(1):20-24.

- Linda B and Bruce RL. Students' Lecture Notes and Their Relation to Test Performance. Teaching of Psychology.1985; 12 (1):28-32.

- Françoise B and Annie P. Note Taking and Learning: A Summary of Research. The WAC Journal.2005; 16: 101 -113.

- Jump W and Linda. Essential Study Skills (8ed.). Cengage Learning. 2014: 288. ISBN 1285430093.

- Jacqueline D, Erik and Ben K. Strategies and Perceptions of Students’ Field Note-Taking Skills: Insights from a Geothermal Field Lesson. Journal of Geoscience Education. 2015; 63: 233–249.

- Robert LW and Alan CE. Note taking In College Classes: Student Patterns and Instructional Strategies. The Journal of General Education.2002;51(3):173-198

- Kyle JS, Marcy MB and Stanley FK. Evaluation of Note Taking Method on Academic Performance in Undergraduate Animal Science Courses. NACTA Journal. 2013; 9:38-39.

- Chen PH. The Effects of College Students’ In-Class and After-Class Lecture Note-Taking on Academic Performance. Asia-Pacific Edu Res. 2013; 22(2):173–180. DOI 10.1007/s40299-012-0010-8.

- Moira K, Laurice MJ and Elisha E. Meta-Analytic Review of Guided Notes. Education and Treatment of Children. 2009; 32(3):421-444.

- Chen PH, Teo T. and Zhou M. Effects of Guided Notes on Enhancing College Students’ Lecture Note-Taking Quality and Learning Performance. Curr Psychol. 2016. Doi: 10.1007/s12144-016-9459-6.

- Lori Q, Mari B, Stacy D, Larry N and Anita W, The Impact of the Cornell Note-Taking Method on Students’ Performance in a High School Family and Consumer Sciences Class. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences Education. 2012;30(1):27-38.

- Luo L, Kiewra KA and Samuelson. Revising lecture notes: how revision, pauses, and partners affect note taking and achievement. L. Instr Sci. 2016; 44:45. Doi: 10.1007/s11251-016-9370-4.

- Nigel W and Hajime T. A Tool for Taking Class Notes. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 2003; 59(6):959–981.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Copyright © 2018 INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH JOURNAL