Hina Mehrotra , Monica Mehendiratta , Mohit Sharma , Puneet Ahuja


Ameloblastomas are the commonest occurring tumors. More than 80% of all ameloblastomas are solid or multicystic variants (SMA), in which unicystic ameloblastoma(UA) is an important clinicopathologic variety. It occupies the remaining 20% of the cases. UA clinicopathologically resembles an odontogenic cyst but with few exceptions. KCOT, characterized histologically, by a palisaded basal cell layer of basophilic columnar cells and a surface of corrugated parakeratin, sometimes with spongiosis. This resembles very closely with the stellate reticulum like cells. If the tissue sample is small and if the neoplastic epithelium displays reactive changes induced by inflammation, it can closely resemble unicystic ameloblastoma histologically. Thus, at times, both lesions become histologically indistinguishable.As Calretinin is used as a specific immunohistochemical marker for neoplastic ameloblastic epithelium .

We report a case of UA exhibiting histologically disconnected islands in the capsule without accompanied bony invasion seen in left  premolar- molar region of mandible in a 38 year old female patient.The final diagnosis in this case was confirmed by using this marker. The final diagnosis of Unicystic Ameloblastoma with disconnected active intra-mural ameloblastomatous follicle was given.


Ameloblastoma ,Unicystic Ameloblastoma,KCOT,Calretinin.

Full Text:



Anandani C., Metgud R. and Singh K.(2014). Calretinin as a Diagnostic Adjunct for Ameloblastoma. Pathology Research International, 2014, p. 7

Imran A., Ranganathan K., Rao U.K., Joshua E. and Thavarajah R.(2016). Expression of calretinin and cytokeratin 19 in radicular cyst, dentigerous cyst, odontogenickerato cyst, and ameloblastoma. JNTR Univ Health Sci, 5, p.118-22.

Kumar K., George G.B., Padiyath S. and Rupak S.(2012). Mural unicystic ameloblastoma crossing the midline: a rare case report. Int. J. Odontostomat, 6, p.97-103.

Eversole L.R., Leider A.S. and Strub D.(1984). Radiographic characteristics of cystogenic ameloblastoma, Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, 57, p.572-7.

Nagalaxmi V., Sangmesh M., Maloth K.N., Kodangal S.,Chappidi V.and Goyal S.(2013). Unicystic Mural Ameloblastoma: An Unusual Case Report. Case Reports in Dentistry,2013, p.6

Reichart P. A. and Philipsen H. P.(2004) Odontogenic Tumors and Allied Lesions. Quintessence, Hanover, Germany.

Philipsen H.P. and Reichart P.A.(1998). Unicystic ameloblastoma. A review of 193 cases from the literature. Oral Oncology, 34,p. 317-25.

Radhika M.B., Thambiah L.J., Paremala K. and Sudhakara M.(2011) Clear cell unicystic ameloblastoma. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol,15 ,p.109-12

Ramesh R.S., Manjunath S., Ustad T.H., Pais S. and Shivakumar K.(2010). Unicystic ameloblastoma of the mandible - an unusual case report and review of literature. Head and Neck Oncology, 2, p.1-5.

Singh N.N., Brave V.R., Sreedhar G. and Tandon A.(2010).bilateral unicystic ameloblastoma -a case report. JPFA, 24, p. 76-80.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Comments on this article

View all comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.